Saturday, February 25, 2006

The Stars are Shouting

I have to confess, that I’ve had "Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ" for several years now, and have read through it at least 3 complete times, with plucking through it about a year ago. This time around was not as great and revelatory as the first, but in reading it again some things have certainly been made fresh in my mind again and old truths were shown to be why they’ve been long confessed desires of mine. These longstanding truths are old friends with which I certainly am prone to fellowship less in busy times, and it is wonderful to sit down with them again.
To get into specifics, I suppose the first two chapters are far-and-away the ones that are so poignant with me, and why not? They serve as the premise of the book; that the Glory of God is the inescapable, unassailable and highest purpose for which everything, from pulsars to puppy-dogs exists. Being a guy that fancies astronomy and word pictures, the talk of laying down in the grass on a cool summer night and letting “the heavens declare the Glory of God” to me is a warm blanket to my soul in the midst of an environment is so often relegated to cerebral exercise to prevent sheer overload. What is even more provoking is the implied word picture conjured by the book of someone who has decided the Sun isn’t the center of the solar system and is angry that the sky does not move according to his perception. Ah! We are so very much like that man – so often confused, amiss, and at a loss (and angry) because the world doesn’t turn on our declared axis, but on Christ, around Christ, by Christ and for Christ! “Christ does not exist to make much of us, but we exist to enjoy making much of Him,” what a simply articulated but profound truth. That’s the kind of truth that can unseat the foundations of your world if they’re set on something less. The Glory of God is the center of our universe, and must be so if the Christian walk is to be one of Joy, and the Glory of God is Jesus – in Him the full weight of deity dwells.
Where this becomes more than mere recitation for me is in the fact that those truths were first echoed to me in a time where the prevalent attitude was much the opposite; where God was seen as a matchmaker, a simple helper, or a means and not the end. As I read through Seeing and Savoring this time, it made me look back at the “pile of rocks” back in that part of my past, and consequently the road that lead me here. In a strange way that I’m not able to articulate, that comforts me immensely. That Christ is indeed faithful when He claims to be, and that His mercy prevails even over the ugliest of sin or the darkest of seasons. The funny thing about that “comfort” is that it’s the kind of comfort you didn’t know you needed until you taste it. All things are subject to Christ, and there is nothing that exists that he has not conquered or claimed superiority over – including all the pain and loss that people close to me are enduring. I suppose I often feel like I’m having to plug twenty leaks in a dam with only ten fingers… and it is beautiful news to be reminded that not only are my hands not enough, but they were never meant to be “enough.”
If that doesn’t soften your heart when you get an eyeful, I don’t think anything will. When what is required of us is immense, it is life to really know that God is infinitely immense. That measure of solace I gain when I look up into that sky on cool summer nights gives me a similar sense… staring into something so vast and so unbridled, and realizing that it’s all been spoken into being by One immeasurably greater. And that One has walked on dusty roads amongst broken people, and is before us even today. That’s the kind of thing that’ll make men dream, pray, hope and wait. That’s the kind of thing that will make you sell everything you own - in your joy – just to have it. God help us to connect with that truth moment by moment. God help me – because the stars are shouting and often I won’t hear them.

No comments: